IICAS Travel Grants
By Melinda Rose
2009-10 IICAS Graduate Travel Grants
The Institute for International, Comparative and Area Studies (IICAS) announces a competition for graduate student travel awards to partially offset dissertation research travel expenses incurred in the U.S. or abroad. Supported research should be about other societies rather than simply conducted in other societies. Applications from fields outside the social sciences and humanities may be eligible if they deal with global issues, cross-national comparisons, or research on particular societies and also have a substantial human or societal dimension. (Implications for public policy should be made explicit.)
Awards: Awards are intended for research travel between June 1, 2009 and June 30, 2010. Awards will not exceed $1,000.
Eligibility: All registered UCSD graduate students.
Restrictions: Due to safety concerns, IICAS will not fund student travel to areas listed on the U.S. State Department's Travel Warning site.
Proposal Format (submit in the following order):
1. Travel Grant Cover Sheet
2. One-page budget estimate
3. Project description or conference paper proposal (no more than 750 words), including timetable or itinerary and other sources of financial support for which application has been made
4. Resume or curriculum vitae
5. Letter of endorsement from a UCSD faculty member familiar with the student's work (do NOT submit in a sealed envelope - it should be copied along with the rest of the application).
6. UCSD transcript (an unofficial version is acceptable - this also should be copied along with the rest of the application).
Criteria for Selection
• An interdisciplinary, inter-divisional and/or comparative subject. (Cross-regional projects are particularly encouraged; multi-country comparative projects also satisfy this criterion.)
• Intellectual originality and breadth
• Clarity / strength of research plan
• Supplementary funding obtained or sought from UCSD and external sources
Submission of Proposals
Submit four (4) copies of complete proposal package no later than 4:00 PM on March 16, 2009. Please staple each copy of your proposal package separately, and do not use paper clips or report covers.
Mailing address for proposals in all categories:
ATTN: Martha S. Salinas
IICAS, UCSD MC 0539
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla , CA 92093-0539
For hand delivery, please see our website at http://iicas.ucsd.edu for directions.
Notification and Acceptance
Awards will be announced in April 2009. Initial notifications will be sent by email. Notice of acceptance must be received no later than June 1, 2009. Failure to notify IICAS of intent to accept the award by this date will result in forfeiture of the award.
Disposition of Proposals
All materials submitted for this competition become the property of IICAS. IICAS assumes no responsibility for retaining or returning materials submitted for this competition.
Recipients must agree to acknowledge assistance from IICAS in any thesis, publication, or other product that results from IICAS-supported research. Each award recipient must also submit a brief report on the use of the grant OR provide an abstract of final research product.
First go to the IICAS Research & Travel Grant FAQ. All other questions may be directed to IICAS' Business Officer, Martha S. Salinas (Tel.: 858-822-1131, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Diversity Scholarships and Fellowships
Get the information you need to stay ahead via RSS feeds!