The Residential Life program will provide participants with opportunities to relax, socialize, and involve themselves in fun, engaging activities meant to foster friendship, trust, mutual understanding and appreciation of all COSMOS participants. The COSMOS residential housing facilities at UC San Diego are group living environments where students are assigned rooms in residence halls shared with other students as roommates and suite-mates. Each student agrees to respect the rights of the other residents and to conduct him/herself in a manner conducive to the harmonious group living environment developed and fostered by the residential life staff. COSMOS may remove from the program any resident who demonstrates an ongoing inability to abide by the requirements and expectations for such group living.
Things Participants MUST NOT do:
- Leave the UCSD campus during the program, except for COSMOS field trips and activities and only when accompanied by COSMOS staff, faculty or other designated adults.
- Have outside visitors at UCSD during the program with the exception of Family Visitation Weekend. Students will be required to submit the Family Visitation Weekend notification form by the deadline in order to be checked-out by their parent/guardian. Visitors are not allowed to enter any residential areas housing students (except on Move-In Day and Move-Out Day).
- Leave their housing suite during curfew hours, which are 11:00PM to 7:00AM.
- Visit any other residential areas occupied by students of the opposite gender or any area occupied by residents of another program housed on the UCSD campus. Students of the opposite gender are permitted in the main floor common lounge area of the two COSMOS residential buildings.
- Maintain or use a car, motorcycle, or other vehicle during the COSMOS program. Bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades, scooters, etc. are also prohibited.
- Organize and/or participate in “pranks” as they are considered a serious offense to group living.
- Wear inappropriate or unacceptable clothing including undergarments worn over or as clothing, clothing with profanity or advertisements for alcohol, drugs, or tobacco products, excessively baggy, low-cut, or overly-revealing clothing.
- Abuse others in any manner which may cause or potential cause another individual physical or psychological harm, and/or which may cause needless feelings of discomfort or embarrassment.
- Use inappropriate physical contact (whether consensual or not) that is not suitable in an educational environment.
- Use foul, vulgar, inappropriate, or offensive language.
- Share medications, whether prescribed or over the counter medications, with any other COSMOS student.
Things Participants MUST do:
- Wear their COSMOS lanyard and name badge between the hours of 7:00AM-11:00PM daily.
- Sign-in and out of the residence halls with the appropriate RA. In addition, when leaving the residence hall area, students are expected to be with another COSMOS student using the “buddy system.” COSMOS students are not permitted to wander the campus alone. This policy also applies to all on and off campus field trips.
- Report illness to an RA immediately.
- Wear the COSMOS t-shirt provided on Opening Day on all academic and weekend field trips.
- Honor Quiet Hours: 11:00PM to 7:00AM daily.
- Be in his/her assigned suite by 10:00PM and in his/her room by 10:30PM.
- Be considerate of others by controlling his/her noise level 24 hours per day. If a RA or staff member asks the student to lower the volume or reduce the level of noise, we expect the student to accommodate the request and reduce the amount of noise accordingly.
- Take adequate concern for personal hygiene and appearance. Participants must be suitably dressed & well-groomed at all times.
- Abide by the COSMOS Dress Code: Acceptable clothing includes: shorts, pants, jeans, t-shirts, blouses, sweatshirts, comfortable walking shoes, sandals, and skirts. Bring at least one outfit to wear at the Awards Ceremony that may include a buttoned shirt, slacks, a dress and dress shoes. The RA’s may plan a COSMOS Dance, so you may wish to bring clothes for this occasion as well. Please do not bring short skirts/dresses, low-cut blouses or clothes that show bare midriffs.
Every effort will be made to provide students with 24-hours advanced notice before their room is entered during normal working hours for cleaning, maintenance and repairs. Said notice is not required in the event of an emergency, or at the discretion of the Resident Dean. Our students agree to waive the 24-hour notice requirement to allow University and/or COSMOS staff to enter the room or suite during normal working hours in the event staff suspects a violation of the COSMOS Student Code of Conduct. Appropriate concern for the privacy of the occupants will be respected whenever possible.