» What to Bring
What to Bring
We have done our best to provide a comprehensive list of things that students will need while at COSMOS on the UC San Diego campus. While packing, think about the things that will make you feel comfortable while you are away from home. In case you forget something, small items can be purchased at local stores.
- Clothing for both hot and cold weather. Note: The San Diego marine layer means that mornings and evenings can be quite chilly.
- Closed-toe walking shoes. Note: The UC San Diego campus is large. Students will walk across campus to attend classes and return to resident halls. Students will need to have comfortable shoes suitable for walking moderate distances.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, hairbrush, etc.
- Towels: for shower and pool/beach
- Quarters for the laundry machines and small box of laundry detergent.
- Medication: All medication must be cleared by a staff member. COSMOS staff cannot administer any medications so students should bring anything they may need.
- Pens, paper, and stamps to write letters to family members
- Cluster-specific items (identified in a separate letter, if necessary)
- Alarm clock
- USB (thumb drive) - at least 2 mb
- Clothes hangers
- Refillable water bottle/bottled water
- Shower shoes
- Pre-paid calling card for the payphones (These are for sale on campus)
- Camera & film
- Extra sheets & blankets or sleeping bag (it gets cold at night!). Extra long sheets accommodate the beds best, but other sheets work as well. Basic sheets, pillows, and pillowcases are provided, but you might want extras.
- Sports equipment (although COSMOS will provide some sporting equipment)
- Calculator (We will have some available for students to use.)
- Spending money. Note: Students should not need much spending money while at COSMOS. Three meals will be provided every day, including field trips. All expenses for extracurricular activities and excursions are included in the COSMOS tuition.
- Reading/desk lamp
- Handheld or free-standing mirror
Optional and Limited to Use in Residential Halls Only
- Cell phones (may not be used in classrooms, lab or on field trips)
- Laptop computer (students will have access to computer labs on campus, but access is limited during peak times)
- Radio, iPod, or other personal music player
- Movies on DVD
Please DO NOT Bring
- An automobile or other vehicle
- Valuable items
- Weapons, fireworks, explosives, candles, etc
- Drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes
- Skateboards or rollerblades (Not permitted on campus)
- Pets (Not permitted on campus – including Opening and Closing Day)
Students are responsible for the safety and security of their personal items.
For more information, please contact COSMOS.